West Georgia Composite Squadron was originally founded in 1943 during World War II and one of the first squadrons in Civil Air Patrol. After phasing in and out, the current unit was reformed on 15 October 2001 in response to September 11th. Consisting of over 40 seniors and cadets, the unit located on Aerotron Parkway is dedicated to both cadet development and homeland security.

 

Our flight operations division has worked with American Shield, the Army Corps of Engineers, USAF AFRCC, and the Coast Guard and Auxiliary. Our emergency services officers have conducted search and rescue operations with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, radio communication for local floods, and missions involving downed aircraft with rapid deployment. Our cadet alumni include West Point, USAF Academy, and ROTC graduates along with active enlisted members.

Our squadron patch was created in 2008 by Cadet Julian Gluck, assisted by Cadet Ryan Brown, and finalized by Mr. Joshua East. It features the latin phrase "Per Aspera Ad Astra" meaning "Through the thorns, to the stars." Inside the circular inset, there is a thorny branch with five thorns representing the five milestone awards in thecadet program (Wright, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz) and five in the unit designation. Behind the thorny branch is a runway with a hidden heading of 153 for the title. In the black sky above, there are three four-pointed stars; the number of stars represents the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol; the points all face the cardinal directions to highlight search and rescue.